What the OPPORTUNITY looks like:
The Sr. Designer is responsible for providing design services to dealership customers, including site/inventory verifications, programming, space planning, typical development, color boards, working/installation drawings, specification and site-to-plan review.
The Sr. Designer position is collaborative – you work with the team which can include an account manager, project manager and a project coordinator. You will be successful if this sounds like YOU:
-You have a strong knowledge of office space design and current practices;
-You understand workplace environment issues (ergonomics, technology integration, teaming, alternative office, etc.)
-You respond to prospective customer solution inquiries, coordinating and organizing input from multiple sources;
-You have a passion for creating spaces that excite, and can see how to maximize a spaces potential;
-You know your colors and how to pull spaces together;
-You understand the processes of contract furniture, including order preparation, project management, order management and delivery/installation.
Summary: Provides design services to customers, including site/inventory verifications, programming, space planning, typical development, color boards, working/installation drawings, specification and site-to-plan review. Works closely with sales, order entry and installation groups, as well as customers, to ensure accurate plans and specifications, conformance to client’s requirements, customer satisfaction and high quality project implementation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Attends client planning meetings; presents plans and information to customer for review and approvals
- Reviews site; conducts field measurements and plan-to-site adherence checks
- Inventories existing product; oversees production of as-built drawings/specifications
- Conducts in-depth programming and products program report; interviews customer/end users, researches workplace requirements, analyze space/furniture needs
- Develops and presents block and space plans; gains customer approvals
- Oversees the development of finished working drawings for specification and installation; validates plans against construction, electrical engineering and A&D drawing sets; gains customer approvals
- Develops product specifications; may double-check specifications against plans
- Manages changes and revisions
- May conduct field and punch-list review with project managers and/or installation group
- Oversees production designers, either on staff or outsourced
- Estimates design project time; maintains detailed time sheets; manages actual time against project estimates
- Assists in writing and presentation of design proposals and contracts to customers
- Maintains detailed and extensive project documentation, including records of all key decisions, phone conversations, approvals and sign-offs, and notes from all project planning meetings
- Manages adherence to project schedule, internal dealership budget, customer’s project budget, design task completions and quality of design work
- Communicates regularly to customer and dealership re: design project status
- Prepares plotting, printing, color boards, etc. for client and dealership transmittals
- Conducts pre-installation meetings with installation group/leads; collects and transmits installation/project work order information to order entry and operations group
- Ensures complete and accurate transmittal of project planning data to order entry, project management and installation groups.
- May conduct responsible interfaces with: client, contractor and subcontractor trades, client’s A&D firm, electrician, client’s IT group, etc.
- Conducts responsible interfaces with: dealership sales, project management, customer service/project coordinator and operations/installation groups
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Synthesizes complex or diverse information;
- Collects and researches data;
- Uses intuition and experience to complement data;
- Designs work flows and procedures.
- Generates creative solutions;
- Translates concepts and information into images;
- Uses feedback to modify designs;
- Applies design principles;
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner;
- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully;
- Develops alternative solutions;
- Works well in group problem solving situations;
- Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Develops project plans; Coordinates projects;
- Communicates changes and progress;
- Completes projects on time and budget;
- Manages project team activities.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations;
- Responds promptly to customer needs;
- Solicits customer feedback to improve service;
- Responds to requests for service and assistance;
- Meets commitments.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations;
- Listens and gets clarification;
- Responds well to questions;
- Demonstrates group presentation skills;
- Participates in meetings.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality;
- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Works within approved budget;
- Develops and implements cost saving measures;
- Contributes to profits and revenue;
- Conserves organizational resources.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Contract Furniture/Design Industry Knowledge
- Has strong knowledge of interior design field and current practices
- Understands workplace environment issues (ergonomics, technology integration, teaming, alternative office, etc.)
- Has a working knowledge of the dealership’s contract furniture lines, including features/benefits, pricing, application and assembly, specification options and nomenclature, etc.
- Has a working knowledge of applicable building codes, ADA regulations, National Electrical Code, etc.
- Understands contract furniture processes, including order preparation, project management, order management and delivery/installation
Desired Skills and Experience
BA in Design/ Interior Design Degree,
Minimum 5+ year(s) contract furniture dealership experience.
Excellent written and vocal communication skills
Self-motivated with great work ethic